I learned this fast-yet-fabulous side dish from my mom. Just slice some potatoes, a little bit of butter and milk, and whatever cheese is handy, and bake until tender!
Cheddar-Parmesan Scalloped Potatoes, Quick Preparation Synopsis:
- Preheat oven, add baking dish with a couple of teaspoons of butter. Bake until butter is melted.
- While butter is melting, slice potatoes and grate the cheese, if necessary.
- When butter is melted, remove dish from oven, and carefully create a layer on the bottom using potato slices. Once a layer is finished so that the bottom of the dish is not visible, add enough cheese to cover the potatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add another layer of potatoes, then cheese, alternating until almost reaching the top of the dish.
- Drizzle milk over the potatoes until there is about a half inch in the dish.
- Top with butter, cover with foil, then return to the oven.
- Check in 30 minutes. Stir, check tenderness of potatoes, then re-cover and return to the oven. When potatoes are close to desired tenderness, remove from oven, stir again, and sprinkle with a little more cheese and salt and pepper, and return to the oven for 5 minutes uncovered, to brown the cheese.