In honor of our beautiful Mel’s birthday, I wanted to share a recipe using one of her very favorite ingredients: chicken! This is a recipe that easy to prepare, but also very soothing and satisfying. This recipe gets regular play in our kitchen, but it is not really a formal recipe…there is no right or wrong way to make it, just as long as it suits your tastes.
The idea was inspired by my mom, who makes porketta by placing the meat in the center of a roasting pan and surrounding it with potatoes. The herbs and spices spread to the potatoes as the porketta cooks, creating potato chunks that are infused with garlicky, herb-y deliciousness. It is a simple, tasty meal, and definitely comfort food.
Although I made chicken for this batch, pork chops can be substituted. Also, the vegetables are based on what I have on hand. Ideally, I would use potatoes, sweet potatoes, onions, carrots, celery, rutabaga, mushrooms, and apples, but I forgot to pick up a sweet potato when I was at Trader Joe’s, and they do not carry rutabaga, so potatoes, onions, carrots, mushrooms, and apples had to suffice. I almost always serve this with my homemade gluten free mushroom gravy. Chicken-y potato-y goodness! Enjoy, and Happy Birthday Mel! 🙂
Chicken and Vegetables
- 3 frozen chicken breasts
- 2-3 cups chopped potatoes, depending on size of pan
- 5 chopped carrots
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 apples, chopped
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- butter or olive oil, adjust to taste
- Worcestershire sauce or liquid aminos
- salt and pepper
- herbs and spices: I used cumin, turmeric, sage, savory, tarragon
- 1/3 cup water or broth
- Splash bottom of baking dish or roasting pan with olive oil or melted butter.
- Add potatoes, carrots, onions, mushrooms, apples, and herbs and spices (to taste) to pan, and stir together.
- Splash top of vegetable mix with olive oil and liquid aminos.
- Layer chicken breasts on top of vegetable mix; sprinkle with a pinch of herbs and spices.
- Add water or broth,
- Cover with aluminum foil and put in 425 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, flip chicken breasts, and return to oven for another 20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and potatoes are soft.
- Remove from oven, remove chicken breasts and set aside.
- Stir potatoes and vegetables before serving.
- Plate chicken and vegetables, and cover with gravy if desired.