Since I thought it would be getting warm and sunny (spring-like, even), I chose another of my favorite chicken recipes for the grill. It snowed here a bit on Monday (April 1, thanks a lot, universe), so I had to improvise. Instead of outdoor grilling, I used our Lodge cast iron griddle on the stovetop. Some substitutions were made in the recipe, based on what was in the fridge: regular bacon instead of turkey, and the apricot preserves from my earlier apricot pesto chicken roll recipe instead of pineapple preserves. They came out great! Although you will note, due to some birthday drinking, I completely forgot the rice. Oops!
Before hitting the griddle (with my new birthday Pastasaurus, just because):
I found this recipe in a tear-out from “Family Circle” all about speedy chicken recipes, and it does take less than a half hour to complete. This is not the healthiest of all of our recipes, but the occasional calorie splurge is allowed. Nutritional info per serving: 659 calories; 18g fat (4g sat.); 44g protein; 79g carbohydrates; 2g fiber; 989 mg sodium; 179mg cholesterol. Makes 4 servings, Prep: 12 minutes, Microwave: 5 minutes, Grill: 12 minutes
Based on the title of this post, if you are interested in sci-fi themed cookware and kitchen projects, check out our Pinterest board, Cooking in Space!
Best chicken joke ever: What do you call a chicken coop with 4 doors?
- 1½ lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 12 slices turkey bacon
- 3 cups fresh pineapple chunks
- ⅓ cup hickory-smoke barbeque sauce
- ⅓ cup pineapple preserves
- 2 pouches (8.8 ounces each) fully cooked white rice
- Soak 8 short bamboo skewers (or assemble 4 long metal skewers).
- Trim excess fat from chicken thighs and cut into bite-size pieces, around 1-inch cubes.
- Place on plate and microwave on high for 5 minutes, stirring once halfway through.
- Cut bacon into 2-inch long pieces.
- Thread skewers, starting with chicken, the bacon folded in half, pineapple chunk, bacon folded in half, repeating until all ingredients are used.
- Prepare grill with medium-hot coals or heat gas grill to medium-high.
- Place skewers on grill and cook 6 minutes. Turn and grill 6 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir BBQ sauce and pineapple preserves together; heat for a minute or 2 in microwave to warm and stir frequently.
- Microwave rice following package directions.
- Remove skewers from grill.
- Brush with warm sauce.
- Serve over rice, with extra sauce on the side.