I whipped up this lentil salad for a quick lunch yesterday and made so much that I ate it again for lunch today. It is tasty, filling, and nutritious, and a great way to fuel up for a workout. Although I used tomatoes, yellow onions, banana peppers, and oregano for this batch, the salad is AMAZING with sweet red onions, bell peppers, and fresh cilantro, and is versatile enough for a variety of herbs and vegetables. It is also tasty when topped with feta cheese. Enjoy!
Quick Lentil Salad
- 2 Cups Boiling Water
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 bouillon cube
- Splash Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup Dry Lentils, rinsed
- 1-2 Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- Fresh Chopped Herbs, I used oregano because it is growing like crazy in my garden, but the salad is also great with cilantro, parsley, or basil
- 1/2 cup Chopped Peppers, I used banana pepper because I had them on hand, but bell peppers work great as well
- Salad dressing, I use a mix of liquid aminos, rice wine vinegar, and olive oil, but bottled Italian dressing or any other oil/vinegar type dressing should work well
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Bring water to boil; stir in bouillon and bay leaf. Dissolve bouillon cube.
- Stir in lentils, return to boil.
- Boil for one minute, then reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes or until lentils are al dente.
- Drain lentils and rinse with cold water. Remove bay leaf.
- Add lentils, herbs, and vegetables to large mixing bowl and mix together.
- Cover with salad dressing and salt and pepper to taste, and mix through.
- You can eat right away, or chill the lentil salad in the refrigerator for a few hours before serving, to enhance the flavors.