***WARNING: On the off chance that you actually have unicorn meat, for the love of Harry Potter, do not try to make and eat this…Also, no unicorns were harmed in the completion of this recipe. I hate that I had to even include this warning, but I understand the litigious (and decidedly un-magical) nature of society.***
Want to start your April out on a magical note? Try this sweet recipe for that extra unicorn meat you have laying around in the freezer. If you don’t have any, you can find it on thinkgeek:
I know that right out of the can, it doesn’t look too appetizing. Cooking lightens it up a bit, and believe me, once the cheese, bacon, and otherworldly garnishes are added, it is divine! Fresh unicorn is, of course, preferred, but we understand not everyone lives in a big city where it’s readily available. So many unicorn recipes are old school “roasted leg of beast” or “horn stew”, so this is a nice modern change. We paired it with a beer called Gnomegang from the Ommegang Brewery (one of M’s favorites!). The fruit, clove, and caramel in this particular beer offset the saltiness of the unicorn meat perfectly.
The finished product:
Happy April Fool’s!
- 2 lbs strip loin unicorn meat
- 3 tbsp. dragon's blood (trust me, the taste is not overpowering)
- 3 tsp. stardust (though there is already some in the unicorn, you will need more for garnish)
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsp. fairy spit
- bacon, chopped (because bacon has a magic all its own!)
- soft hoagie rolls
- Chop unicorn meat into small pieces.
- Heat griddle or grill pan over high heat.
- Brush meat with fairy spit and stardust.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Toast hoagie rolls.
- Put a layer of cheese, dragon's blood, and bacon in the bottom of the roll while still warm from toasting.
- Add unicorn meat and another layer of cheese on top.
- Sprinkle stardust over the whole thing and enjoy!